- I was told to check off when I wanted to tutor and enrich my students. Once a week for each group. I could either do forty-five minutes in the morning or thirty minutes if in the afternoon. (Really? … Really? And what about the students at grade level?)
- Cory* forgot his homework.
- Ben*, who has already failed two grades before, did not turn in his homework because he did not understand it.
- Marissa* turned in her four page homework, a twenty-eight page multiplication workbook, and a difficult addition assignment she had received the day before.
- John* got glasses and he ran to show them to me. (They make him look really smart.)
- Two students who I’ve disciplined before for talking gave me gifts of appreciation. (Maybe tough love really does work? Faith renewed.)
- My students checked up on how my scrapped knee was doing.
- Shawn*, who has been on my roster for seven days now, finally showed up for his first day of school.
- My third-graders witnessed a student push another up against the wall.
* Names have been changed.